School Policies and Practical Information

School Policies

Details of our school policies can be found in the policies and reports section of our school website.

The School Day

Information on how our school day is organised, including timings, click here.

Activities, Groups and Clubs for Pupils

Further information on extra-curricular activities available to pupils can be found here.

Lunch Arrangements 

Parents should be aware that while pupils are encouraged to stay in the school or its grounds at lunchtime, there is no way of ensuring that they do so. In general, pupils are free to leave the school grounds at lunchtime (except S1 until the October break), and some go along to the village to purchase their lunch or simply to walk around. Others go home for lunch.

Parents who do not wish their children to leave the grounds at lunchtime should ensure that they are given clear instructions to remain in school. This information should also be conveyed to the appropriate Pupil Support Teacher. While we cannot ensure that pupils will not leave the grounds, we will try our best to reinforce parents’ wishes.

The dining-hall at Larbert High School is called "The Hub" and is run by Chartwells. There is a good range of snacks and full meals available. We also have a tea/coffee Pod and Pasta Bar which is extremely popular with all year groups. The number of pupils regularly having their lunch in school has trebled since the Hub was opened and the 'swipe card' system is popular and ensures a fast service for pupils.

An area is also set aside for pupils who wish to bring packed lunches.

School helpers are employed to assist with supervision in the dining hall; pupils must obey their instructions.Members of the senior staff, assisted by Senior Leaders, supervise the lunch queues. Priority for entry is given on a year group rota.


The catering menu can be found here.

Free School Meals and Clothing Grants

Some families may be eligible to apply to Falkirk Council for free school meals and/or a payment towards the cost of footwear and clothing.

Application Forms for Clothing Grant and Free School Meals including eligibility criteria are available from the school, Falkirk One Stop Shops, Registrars or can be downloaded from the Falkirk Council website. The forms have to be completed by the parent/carer and evidence of income received may have to be provided. Please note that an application has to be made for each school year.

More information or help with completion of the form can be obtained from the Council’s Advice and Information helpline on 01324 590599.

With the exception of certain local arrangements, eligibility for Free School Meals in Scotland is set nationally by the Scottish Government on an annual basis, and is means tested.

Eligibility for Free School Meals

As of January 2015, all Primary 1 - 3 pupils are entitled to a free school meal.

In addition, we can provide free school meals to children who live in the Falkirk Council area, are attending a Falkirk Council school and whose parents or carers get one of the following:

  • Income Support*
  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance*
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)*
  • Child Tax Credit, but not Working Tax Credit, where the award letter from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) states that the annual income is not greater than £16,105
  • Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit, where the award letter from Her Majesty's Revenue Customs (HMRC) states that the annual income is below £6,420
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • Universal Credit where the monthly earned income does not exceed £610

* Pupils are eligible to apply for free school meals in their own right if they are aged 16 to 18, and receive one of these benefits.


School Clothing Grant

Falkirk Council can also provide assistance with the cost of school clothing and footwear.

Clothing grants are available for children who live in the Falkirk Council area and who are in compulsory education at any of our primaryspecial or secondary schools. Pupils attending some special schools outside the area may also be eligible for this grant.

School clothing grants are not available to children attending nursery schools, nursery classes or other pre-5 centres.

The School Clothing Grant is means tested. To be eligible, parents or guardians must meet one of the following criteria:

  • In receipt of Income Support, or
  • In receipt of Income-based Job Seekers Allowance, or
  • In receipt of Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
  • In receipt of  Child Tax Credit only with a gross annual income below £16,105, or
  • In receipt of  Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit with a gross annual income below £16,105

Payments are paid directly into the parent or guardian’s bank account.

Compliments, Enquiries and Complaints Procedure

Falkirk Council Children’s Services would like you to be completely satisfied with your child's education. We encourage feedback on our services from parents, pupils and members of the public. We are interested in feedback of all kinds, whether it be compliments, enquiries or complaints.                         

Sometimes, customers may feel that the services provided are not what they wished for and they may wish to complain. If you have a complaint about the service provided by the school, please let us know.


How do I complain?

Complaints can be made to schools in writing, by email, on the telephone, in person or by using the Falkirk Council online complaints form on the website.


Who do I complain to?

Parents must first consult the school regarding their complaint.


What happens with my complaint?

All complaints will now be logged confidentially on our Customer First online complaints handling system. They will be monitored exclusively by each school and Children’s Services staff at Sealock House to ensure any response is within the timescales. This new monitoring system will enable us to learn from complaints to prevent similar issues arising in future. We will deal with your complaint confidentially and as quickly as possible. If we have made a mistake we will apologise and try to put things right.


How long will it take until I get a reply?

Our aim is to respond within 5 working days to front line complaints, although issues can sometimes be complex and the school may need time to investigate them.


What happens next?

If your complaint has not been satisfactorily resolved by the school, it may be eligible for consideration at the second, investigation stage by Children’s Services headquarters at Sealock House. Complaints will not be considered by Children’s Services unless they have been first reported to the school – unless there are exceptional circumstances. Our aim is to respond to second stage complaints within 20 working days.


Who else can help?

If you remain dissatisfied after the second, investigation stage, you can raise the matter with the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman


You should also be aware that you have the right to raise concerns with your local Councillor, MSP or MP.


What else do I need to know?

Please note that schools can only respond to complaints about a service that they or Falkirk Council provides or a service we have contracted from a third party.

The Council’s complaints handling procedure sets a time limit for making a complaint of six months from when the customer first knew of the problem

You can find out more about the Council’s Complaint Procedure from the Falkirk Council website -



Insurance Cover for School Children

Personal Injury

Falkirk Council has in force a Public Liability Insurance Policy, which operates in respect of claims for injury to any school child whilst in the custody / control of the local authority or its employees. There requires to be proof supplied by the claimants parent / guardian that Falkirk Council have been negligent in law.


Pupil’s Property

It is an unfortunate fact that each session pupils property may be lost, damaged or stolen. Please note that all items brought onto school premises / on excursions are at your own risk. You should investigate if your own Household policy extends to cover personal belongings whilst outside the home and you are discouraged from allowing pupils to carry expensive personal belongings to school.


Personal Accident – Educational Excursions

The Council has in force a Personal Accident Insurance Policy for school children whilst on an organised trip (both UK and Overseas), under which compensation is payable as follows:


  1. Death                                                    £10,000 Under 18 years of age
  2. Death                                                    £30,000 18 Years of age and over
  3. Permanent / Partial Disability               Up to £30,000


Role of Named Person

All children and young people are entitled to access help or support from the Named Person no matter where they live or how old they are (up to eighteen years).  It ensures they have the confidence to know that information, advice or support is there if and when they need it.    The Named Person is therefore the identified point of contact.   

The role is generally carried out by a Health Visitor for pre-school children or a promoted teacher for children and young people enrolled at school.  It is an integral part of existing roles and responsibilities, working within universal services. 

The Named Person is also available to other practitioners who may have concerns about the wellbeing of a child or young person which cannot be addressed within their own services.  Consent to share information, whether being shared with or by the Named Person, will always be obtained and meaningful discussion will take place with families to ensure the right support is offered.  The exception to this would be if child protection concern is identified and there is a risk to the child or young person. 

When the Named Person is not available, another member of staff in school will be able to help.  During school holidays an officer from Children’s Services Headquarters will provide the required advice and support.